VirtualBox - AMD-V and KVM

I usually use the KVM on my linux host for Virtualisation. It's default with Fedora and I know it. Usually ...

Today I thought I would try the Ubuntu 10.4 Beta 1 on VirtualBox. I installed the latest VirtualBox ( version 3.1.6 ) and then had a crack at installing the Ubuntu 10.4 64bit. Of course an error came up saying that while AMD-v was enabled, it was not operational. After much googleling about, I found that the KVM modules were causing VirtualBox issues with access.

So a quick "rmmod kvm_amd" and "rmmod kvm" fixed it.

Next time I want to use KVM, I will need to re-enable these with, I suppose, a quick, "insmod kvm_amd" and "insmod kvm"

Comments

David Jellison said…
Thank you.. I have been trying to figure this out for a bit.. Great clean information. I found lots of other posts regarding this same issue with no solutions. Again Thank you This applies to Virtualbox versions 3.1, 3.1.6, 3.2
David Latham said…
Glad I could help David.

Popular posts from this blog

Automatically mount NVME volumes in AWS EC2 on Windows with Cloudformation and Powershell Userdata

Extending the AD Schema on Samba4 - Part 2

Python + inotify = Pyinotify [ how to watch folders for file activity ]