Hex Editor for GNome

Lately, I have been working on a project to parse a binary log file into text format. The requirements are that logs with 30 000 + records must parse quickly with low overhead on the production server.

In order to achieve this, I needed to know how the binary log was formatted. This was the most difficult part and I quickly realised I needed a descent Hex Editor. I settled on GHex ( Hex Editor for Gnome. ) Fedora 9 ships GHex in the Yum repositories.

# yum install ghex
HEX data can be viewed as bytes, words or long words. The data can be selected and there is a search tool.

Find the project's home page here: http://directory.fsf.org/project/ghex/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automatically mount NVME volumes in AWS EC2 on Windows with Cloudformation and Powershell Userdata

Extending the AD Schema on Samba4 - Part 2

Python + inotify = Pyinotify [ how to watch folders for file activity ]